top of page

We'll help explain some print terms with this printing primer.


We like our customers to understand a few things our about printing to help them make an informed decision as to what they want or need. Here is a small glossary of print terms. Many print houses advertise a low price and then add extra costs after you choose the options you need. We don’t. We will quote you the price for the job at the lowest cost for what you need. No hidden extras.



We print most jobs in a four-color (CMYK) model, commonly referred to as FULL COLOR.  There is never an extra charge for extra colors or plate charges except for some label printing jobs. We also print the backside of most products when needed at no additional cost.


Paper Stock

Paper stock is available in an endless variety of textures and weights. You might want Linen stock for letterhead but most other products use simple white paper in various weights. The thickness of the paper is usually described by its weight in pounds or points such as 14 pt, 16 pt for card stock or 80#, 100# etc. for paper. The higher the number the thicker the stock.



There are many coatings available. The three most commonly used are: Aqueous Coating: Protection for dampness or water. Adds a glossy look. UV Coating: Very high gloss, glass-like shine and very protective. Great for stand out photos. Note: Cannot be written on. Matte Finish A natural smooth non-glossy finish, easy to be written on. A popular stock for a natural look and feel. Our prices are generally the same for these three coatings, It’s a just matter of choice.


Spot UV 

This is when a particular piece of art or type on the piece has a shiny UV coating but the rest of it stays in a natural or matte finish. These products are eye-catching but do involve an extra charge. We will quote the job both ways if you like and you can make the decision. Other premium stocks or coating terms used are Velvet Lamination, Silk, Textured. These can give the product an extra smooth or rough “feel” to the hand and sometimes cost a little more to print.



When the art or ink goes all the way to the edge of the product. The artwork is made larger than the finished piece and is trimmed to the edge after printing. Many print houses charge extra for this. We don’t.



This is the material used for things like signs and some promotional products. Some examples are: Corrugated plastic for yard signs etc. Usually described in thickness like 4mm or 10mm Great for outdoor use. 13 oz. Vinyl - Used for large banners, options for all edges hemmed and grommets to hang them. Solid plastic, acrylic & aluminum signs. 

While there are unlimited choices in paper, coatings and substrates, these are the most commonly used today for printed products. If you prefer a specialty stock or substrate, just ask.

bottom of page